skip navigation

BSRA Updates

Update as of June 7th:

Fully vaccinated individuals no longer have to wear a mask in or around the boathouse facilities. 

Anyone not fully vaccinated for COVID-19 must continue to follow standard mask wearing regulations as outlined in the Return to Rowing Protocols.

Update as of March 10th:

Practice procedures for Spring rowing 

Update as of March 5th:

Protocols for indoor rowing operations have been posted. 

Update as of November 1st:

We'd like to thank all Members, Rowers, Kayakers, Coaches, Volunteers, Board, Parents and Visitors for helping us have a safe Fall season at 405 Ohio St. Now that we have concluded Fall 2020 on-the-water operations, the docks will be removed on Tues, 11/3 and the Tent Boathouse will be taken down on Wed. 11/4. Our site work and new boathouse are scheduled to continue and finish within 2020 or before the new year. Due to the final stages of construction and COVID-19 protocols for indoor training, Winter Indoor training and Member access to the boathouse will not begin until at the earliest, January 2021. We will not open until our facility is safe for our community as a new structure and under COVID-19 health and safety protocols. We thank you for being patient and encourage all rowers to contact their respect Fall 2020 coach for information on virtual/off-season training from home. Safe well!

Update as of September 1st:

This is for Parents of Junior/HS Rowers/Coxswains: Please complete this survey so we can better plan for September, and all of Fall  programming. Thank you!


Update as of July 29th

Updated Return to Rowing Protocol HERE

Parent permission form for rowers under 18 years old HERE

Update on July 24th

Youth rowers and Parents of youth rowers, please fill out our survey! HERE

Thank you!

BSRA's Update as of July 28th

  • Updated travel restrictions : Return to Rowing

No individual is permitted on the BSRA site if they:

• Are feeling sick

• Have a temperature above 100.4°F

• Have had or been exposed to COVID-19 in the last 14 days

• Have had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days

• Have traveled to any restricted states in the last 14 days (currently includes Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin)

• Masks are required when social distancing not possible, but BSRA recommends wearing a mask at all times while at 405 Ohio Street.

• All members must sign both BSRA waivers

Each of us (staff, volunteers, participants, etc.) has a responsibility to ourselves and to each other to ensure we are taking all reasonable steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

E-signing the waivers is not working well, so below are the PDF's. Please email a signed copy back to us ( or bring it to the boathouse when you come and drop it into our boathouse mailbox.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks for your understanding and patience during this transition time.

BSRA's Update as of June 12th

At this stage, BSRA will open effective immediately for privately owned kayaks and SINGLE rowing shells, please see "B.R.A.P. Phase 2.1 from our Return To Rowing Protocol above.

Our Temporary Boathouse (the tent) will remain closed to Members. Authorized personnel only abiding by social distancing protocols, wearing masks and cleaning touched surfaces.

Single shells and matching oars will be placed on an outdoor rack. Owners should have insurance for their own single shell or kayak. If owner allows BSRA to utilize their shell, with discretion, we have Borrowed boat insurance and will make any and all repairs.
Please contact us at if you would like us to move your single shell outside or start storing at BSRA.

All rowers, kayakers and any person on the Site, must abide by:
1. Our Return to Rowing Protocol, especially our Site Protocols:
• All visitors of the BSRA site must sign both BSRA waivers (linked below)
• All visitors of the BSRA site must be clear of any COVID-19 symptoms, and been exposed to COVID-19  within a 14 day time period.
• All visitors will have to take their temperature upon arriving at BSRA using a provided thermometer
     - Temperatures will be logged in the provided notebook (Logbook)
     - Anyone with a temperature above 100.4°F must leave the premises immediately
     - A person with a temperature recorded above 100.4°F is not permitted to be on the BSRA site for 2 weeks or until they receive a negative COVID-19 test.
• Rowers will sign up prior to each outing
• Masks are to used when social distancing is not possible
    - The BSRA recommends wearing a mask at all times while at 405 Ohio Street
• The dock will be marked with tape to indicated launching and recovering sections
     - Launch downstream (towards the city)
     - Recover upstream (towards the south towns)
• Each person must carry their own equipment to the dock
     - The BSRA has purchased a universal trolly to be used for Kayaks and the Wave Cutters
• Visitors to the BSRA site must be vigilant with washing their hands at the provided hand washing stations or utilizing hand sanitizer.
• Boats, oars and paddles must be washed following a session
• Staff will be regularly cleaning frequently touched items around the site (i.e. door handles, racks, locks, etc.)

2. Our Small boat Safety Guidelines

3. Our Code of Conduct HERE

4. Please Sign both Waivers PDF's linked above

5. Utilize our Logbook on arrival & departure, located on the waterside of the temporary boathouse in a red marine dry box.

  • Currently*, there is no cost for our outdoor single shell storage as long as the owner is up-to-date on paid Membership and Dues. Please contact us if you need to double check Membership and Dues status or need to discuss payment options.
  • All rowers and kayakers must pay Program Dues + Membership.

*note that once our boats can go into the permanent boathouse, we will be charging for rack space. Rack space costs are waived for owners that allow BSRA to use their shells for programs at the owners discretion.

We are working through proposed options for more rowers to get back on the water with our Return to Rowing protocol, the site construction plans and shell logistics in mind. As you know, we are primarily a sweep rowing facility, but are doing our best to adapt to the current situation. With that being said, we are looking for more use of single shells, if anyone has one and wishes to allow BSRA to use one, please contact us at

Stay tuned for more information as we slowly add more on-the-water rowing opportunities for our Members.

Our plan is to allow the private single shells to row and use the dock as a trial period before allowing more Members to borrow single shells. We are purposely being very cautious about opening due to the fact that we are operating from a temporary site that is under construction. Again, our primary concern is the safety of our Members. Thank you for being understanding. We miss being on the water just as much as you do!

BSRA's Update as of June 5th

The BSRA Board will be meeting on Tuesday, June 9th to review the site and program reopening plan, and safety protocols established because of COVID-19. We have decided to cancel Youth Learn-to-Row Session 1, but are still assessing the viability of other sessions, junior rowing and other programs may look like this summer.

We anticipate to have more concrete information on Wednesday, June 10th to send an email to our community.

Thank you for your patience, stay well.

Row Safe. Be Safe. Row Buffalo.

BSRA's Update as of May 20th

We are very encouraged that Erie County has been given the approval to start Phase 1 of Re-opening. However, we are still unsure when we will get Phase 4 and what the social restrictions are between Phase 1 and 4,  especially after June 13th NYS PAUSE order is hopefully lifted. BSRA has developed a Return to Rowing Plan as a guideline, however this may change as we are given updates from State and local authorities. We ask our members and participants to please continue respecting the State PAUSE order to stay home, practice social distancing guidelines, wash hands frequently, refrain from touching your face and overall, just stay healthy and safe. We hope that our efforts now will help us get on the water one way or the other, soon!

Program Update:

Although we do not have any concrete new information, we are still planning summer programs as usual, just with more safety precautions and adding later sessions toward the end of the summer and into Fall. We have changed all registrations to an 'optional pay now' option so that we don't have to issue refunds if a session does not continue as planned. Please read the payment policy as payment will be required before each session. We very much encouraging anyone who is interested in rowing this summer to sign up now. This will help us hire the appropriate number of coaches for each program in advance.

We are also happy to announce that we are offering kayak storage and launching. We have 20 slots available on a first come first serve basis. Reservation registration will be on our home page as well as under Programs. All costs for this Program include an annual social Membership to our organization.

Lastly, the best way for inquiries and contacting our Staff or Board is through email. If you do not have the personal emails, please use our general email or leave a voicemail on our office phone 716-800-5460, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please use our website, for frequently updated information. Thank you.

BSRA's Update as of May 1st

Due to so many unknowns, we have adjusted dates for summer programs, created make up sessions and edited the payment requirement for summer programs. We plan to have more of an update by May 16th.

The best way for inquiries and contacting our Staff or Board is through email. If you do not have the personal emails, please use our general email or leave a voicemail on our office phone 716-800-5460, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please use our website, for frequently updated information. Thank you.

BSRA's Update as of March 26th, 4pm

Due to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, BSRA has decided to officially cancel our Spring season of competitive junior rowing. This decision comes after announcements from CSSRA,  SRAA, USRowing Youth Nationals and NYSSRA that the respective 2020 championships have all been canceled.

BSRA will be following direction from our local, state and federal leaders to determine whether an instructional fun club rowing opportunity will be available for later in the Spring.

BSRA Community Programs (BRRC Masters & WeCanRow) will remain as paused for in-person practices and continue as respective head coaches have instructed.

In the meantime, again please stay home and respect the instructions for social distancing.

We hope to return to the water soon!

- Executive Director & VP of Rowing

BSRA's Update as of March 17th. To all Members, Rowers and Coaches:

We hope this message finds you and your families in good health during these uncertain times.  Please be advised that effective immediately our property and structures are now closed to all members and no one is permitted to access the water from BSRA property.  We will keep you apprised as soon as circumstances change and wish to thank each one of you for your cooperation.

Thank you,

BSRA Board of Directors


  • NYS Gyms and Fitness Center Guidance: here
  • Reopening New York - Sports and Recreation Guidelines: here
  • NYS Interim Guidance for Sports and Recreation: here
  • New York Forward: here
  • USRowing - Reopening the Boathouse/Return to Training Considerations Post-COVID-19: here
  • CDC - Coronavirus (COVID-19): here
  • CDC - Considerations for Youth Sports: here
  • EPA - List N: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19): here

Dear BSRA Community,                                                                                                                March 12, 2020

We are monitoring the COVID-19 / Coronavirus public health situation. We want to reassure you that our member's health and safety is our number one priority.

Currently, our programs will remain operational for the foreseeable future. However, this may change and we will certainly keep you updated.

Here are some steps we are taking:

  • We are reminding all athletes and coaches to wash their hands and use hand sanitizer as often as possible 
  • We are cleaning our equipment on a daily basis 
  • Attendance at programs will not be mandatory until further notice
  • We will provide notification in the event that programs are temporarily suspended

What you can do to help:

  • If you or your child are unwell, or anyone you are in close contact with are unwell, do not attend programs  
  • Please let us know if your school or work place is closed due to the virus
  • Please practice good respiratory hygiene, including coughing into your elbow or sleeve, and washing your hands frequently with soap
  • Other tips for safeguarding yourself and those around you can be found on the CDC’s Coronavirus 19 Prevention and Treatment page

We have not made the decision to cancel any upcoming events/races at this time, however, we are watching the situation closely and will notify you immediately of any changes to planned activities.  

We will issue a notification on our website and via email to all members in the event BSRA closes or suspends programs.  In the event City of Buffalo Schools are closed to students, BSRA programming will be suspended until further notice. 

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact our Executive Director, Hilary Epes-Oballim or Director of Marketing & Outreach, Mairead Manke


             Home              Memberships           LTR

             Donate              About                           Coaches 

             Juniors            Masters                       Board